Saturday 27 June 2015

A few ideas for leftovers - money saving advice

Using leftovers to creat new dishes always seemed crazy to me. I grew up in a home where my mother would throw out perfectly good food on a daily basis.
I moved out when Id just turned 18, with my partner. From that moment I have taught myself not to waste. Leftover fresh meats go in the freezer, I freeze herbs, breads and meals. I wont waste anything unless I have to.

Dinners

Pies
So when I have some leftover meat, veg and gravy from a sunday roast, its not uncommon for me to make some pies out of it.
Just pop it all together and enply into a pastry lined dish.
I like using ready made puff pastry. Serve with some potatoes and its good for a whole new meal. If you have any pies left over you have alwasy freeze them too.

 Lamb soup
At the moment in my freezer I have some leftover fresh lamb I have frozen. I also have some potatoes, onions, carrots and leek leftover too.
I will use this up to make a soup in my slow cooker.
I just pop it all in with some stock and its done. Serve with some french bread and it will last a few days.

Rice
A great way to use up left over meats and veggies is to pop them into pan, cook off, add dry rice and stock and boil together until cooked.
I like using: Left over chicken, leftover bacon, chorizo, red pepper, left over cherry tomatoes, onion.
Just pop that with stock, rice, paprika and mix herbs. Its very delicious served with prawn crackers (tesco do packets for 15p!!)

 Sides

Garlic bread
If I have some stale bread thats about to go stale I will often wgip up some garlic bread.
Mix butter and chopped garlic togther. Sprinkle some dried parsley in there.
Spread thickly over bread, slice up and bake for a few mins on 180'.

Wedges
Slice leftover potatoes into wedge shapes with the skin on. Spray them with a bit of oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and herbs.







No comments:

Post a Comment